I bought popularity
So this week I bought twitter followers. Yes, of course it feels a little icky. But it’s also fascinating.
But I did it for a number of reasons.
- I was wondering how the process worked. (For example, it was amazing to find a website that was a marketplace for five dollar transactions, where people were selling an incredible collection of strange services.)
- I have recently become obsessed/divorced from/obsessed again with klout. I really want to know how 15k followers changes things.
- I don’t understand who these followers I’m buying are, or where they come from. Are they real, are they robots, are they all from one country? Why do they sign up to follow me, what makes it worth there while?
- What do I have to do to get twitter to ban me? Will this be enough to aggravate them?
- I want to see if there’s any difference between how real people treat me on twitter when they think i am twitter popular.
- I want to see if there is a single moment of real engagement or communication with any of those 15k followers.
- Will it work to drive downloads to an iOS game, or my blog?